Tzivre Silk Factory in Soufli
The production and processing of the cocoons are developing rapidly with ever evolving new techniques. In the beginning of the 20th century organized production units are build and employ a considerable number of staff.
The main industrial complex was the silk factory of the Tzivre family and was built by Ceriano, an Italian, in 1910. The building facilities of the factory take up an area of 10.500 square meters.
It consists of 13 buildings, the most important being the three-storey warehouse for the cocoons, of total surface area 469 sm and volume 5.900 cubic m. Wooden bunk beds cover a surface of 2.915 s m. Other buildings of the production chain include the drier - the place where the cocoons are dried up in special furnaces-, the weaving mill, with 24 weaving webs and spinning mill and the main silk factory- where the raw material becomes silk threads- of total surface area 500 square meters.
The complex was bought by the council of Soufli who plan to restore and turn it into a technological museum and cultural centre.